A collector of classic games and rare items who goes by the nickname Siberian GRemlin obtained a very early build of Red Alert through a contact of his. The real source of this discovery is unknown; it is quite possible this was an early QA or Playtest build for an event like E3 from 1996. Here is a short message from him:
“Good day, comrades. This version was found on a bootleg CD copied from an unknown source in 1996. Maybe this version was used for some game shows and expos. How it leaked from Westwood Studios and come to Russian bootleggers is unknown. I just bought it from the previous owner, whom I will no longer meet.”
So, five C&C enthusiasts (CCHyper, Nyerguds, Tore, TaxOwlBear and Chad1233) decided to band together and obtain a real treasure in C&C history and share it with the whole C&C community; they decided this was something the community really needed to experience and explore, so they contacted Siberian GRemlin, and came to a deal, so they could share this treasure!
For the past couple of days they have all jumped right in and have been testing the game as much as possible, documenting any differences from the release version of Red Alert. They have also pulled the game files apart, to see if there were any hidden files or new files to be discovered, and were not disappointed!
Here a few of the interesting discoveries and changes found:
- A couple of previously unseen FMVs, including the infamous “shipyard” FMV that never made the final game, and another FMV showing the UN flag.
- Unheard voices for some units. Allied: “It is done!”, Thief: “Like candy from a baby.”, “Let’s pick ‘em clean.”, “Time for a little five-finger discount!”.
- “Soviets” and “Allies” are the only factions available in Skirmish.
- Contains a primitive version of the Skirmish AI.
- Game balance is very different to the final game, with some weapons being quite overpowered.
Also, a really interesting discovery they found: This version of the game contains the internal developer map editor! There are also quite a few debug keys, for example; one that grants you instant special weapons, instant win/lose of the current mission and one that gives you 10,000 credits! You can find full details on how to activate it in the document below.
They uploaded some shots of the “Editor” to an imgur album, and with the help of another person called Chad, there are also some screenshots of the differences in the multiplayer maps here: https://imgur.com/a/OyBos03
More info (and the important links) are available at the original Reddit thread here: